137 Inspirational Quotes By Jhumpa Lahiri, The Author Of Interpreter Of Maladies, Will Compel You To Introspect.
Interpreter of Maladies, The Namesake, Unaccustomed Earth and The Lowland, these are a few jewels Pulitzer Prize winning author has given to the literary world. Her books are inspired by her immigrant experiences and the struggles of fitting in an adopted country. Learn some of the lesser known facts about the prolific writer.
1. The author steers clears of the reviews of her books. She feels, "It's just too much, like looking into a mirror all the time." She recollects, "I got an email from a friend once saying they’d read an ‘interesting’ review of the book. I knew what ‘interesting’ meant, I spent two days crying myself to sleep without ever having read the review.”
2. Jhumpa is pretty old school when it comes to writing her books. She believes in writing everything by hand and then transferring it onto a laptop. So what's the big deal you ask? Well well, her laptop has no internet connection! Yeah you heard it right, she believes the technology is nothing but a hindrance to her creativity.
3. If you've read her books you might picture Lahiri being a confident person but in reality she's timid and is not so fond of public speaking.
4. She was born in the city of London but she is a native of Rhode Island. Her hometown features in many of her works like The Lowland.
5. Her books, Unaccustomed Earth and The Interpreter of Maladies, revolve around the struggle of trying to fit in and belong to a different place. The author says some of them heavily draw from her own experiences.