17 Impelling Quotes By Amartya Sen The Man Who Helped Revive Economies.
Nobel laureate Amartya Sen is well known for his contribution to the development of the concept of Micro Economy.Here are some interesting trivia about the life and works of the eminent economist.
1. Though he was born in Manikganj (a place in modern-day Bangladesh) he grew up in the campus of Viswa Bharati University, Shantiniketan, West Bengal.
2. His mother was a part of Rabindranath Tagore's dance-drama troupe and it is said that Gurudev himself christened the young boy.
3. The Bengal Famine of 1943 left a lasting impression on the mind of Sen. The poverty, and dilapidated state of the people inspired him to work towards upliftment of poor. The concept of Micro Economy which he developed along with Muhammad Yunus was aimed at 'improving the well-being of the least advantaged members even in impoverished societies.'
4. When he was offered a Prize Fellowship at Trinity College, Sen chose the discipline of Philiosophy as he wanted to study the works of great philosophers and scholars like Karl marx, Adam Smith and G. B. Shaw.
5. Sen is a champion of gender equality; in his papers one can notice the use of she/her more than he/him.